Wilson Parris VFW Post 8600
817 Rainbow Drive
Gadsden, Alabama 35901
Post Membership Meeting
August 9, 2016
- Opening Ceremony: Meeting Opened at 6 PM by Commander LaPoint. Opening ceremonies conducted. Chaplin Maurice Sanders gave opening prayer and Pledge of Allegiance recited by all members present.
- Roll Call of Officers: 12 Present, 2 Absent (Jeremy Wilder, Kenneth Noojin), 2 Excused (Steven Alex on Vacation and Joyce Shelly Surgery).
- Petitions For Membership: Annual member upgraded to Life Membership. No New Applicants.
- Reading of previous minutes approved. Discussed Application Fee requirement of one dollar ($1.00) per person. Should keep the $1.00 Admission fee and transfer to General Fund each month. Application fee at end of month should always be $0.00.Half of Post Share of Dues goes into the Dues Reserve Fund and half into the Post General Fund.
- Quartermaster Report of Income and Disbursements given and discussed. Comrade Holmes made motion to accept Q.M. And seconded by Comrade Campbell to accept Report subject to Audit.
- Comrade in Distress: none mentioned or known. However, We have a homeless person in need of assistance. Comrade Holmes is Giving Her a place to board and food. No assistance was approved. However, She does need money to help herself be self supporting. She is a good person in bad health, does not do drugs, never has. Just has made some bad choices over the years. At one time during a 10 year period she was a successful business owner during the 1980's & 1990's. She has always worked but apparently does not understand how to control her finances. She has a monthly Disability income of $700.00 from social security disability.
- Committee Reports were given and Approved.
- Reading of official Communications: General Order #2 was read to membership and some items were brought up for discussion.
- Unfinished Business: None new, but continue discussing about some possible building repairs that may not be worth the costs. Further decision on repairs and discussion of those repairs will be discussed by Building Committee members and brought back to the membership for a decision.
- New Business:
- It was announced that VFW Post 8600 has earned the distinction of “All American Team Post 2016-2017. Discussed getting a Sign Made to display that Distinction on the outside Front of our Post Home. No further discussion, but will need to find source and cost of making sign.
- A person with cancer (Terri Colvin) was approved to receive $100.00 from post relief Fund. Motion by Johnny Holmes second by Ed Spraley for post to pay motel for those attending Fall Conference plus $0.28 per mile for one vehicle to be paid to Comrade David LaPoint. Motion & Second Approved.
- Charity event benefit for a cancer patient. The Post will provide the facilities for the event.
- Blood Drive at the post August 17th at 10AM to 5PM.
- Road Block November 5 at Steele Station Road and Hwy 77 9AM to 2PM.
- November 10th all three Johnson's Food Stores approximately 9AM to 5PM.
- November 12th Road Block at E. Broad & George Wallace Drive 9Am to 2PM.
- November 19, E. Gadsden Walmart 9AM to 5PM.
- Also, Buddy Poppy Road Block somewhere in Gadsden During the month of May 2017 for Memorial Day.
- Good of the Order: None
- Closing Ceremonies performed and meetion Adjourned by Commander LaPoint at 7:07 PM.