Wilson Parris Post 8600, Gadsden Alabama
Post Membership meeting minutes, Mar 8, 2016
MEETING CALLED TO ORDER
The Post General Membership Meeting was called to order at 18:05 by Commander David LaPoint.
Opening prayer give the Sr Vice Commander Johnny Holmes. Salute and Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag of our nation by all Present.
ROLL CALL OF OFFICERS
16 present, 1 excused, 3 vacated
READING OF APPLICATIONS FOR MEMBERSHIP
Herman Sewell, Iraq, Annual from Piedmont AL
Timothy Smith, Iraq, Afghanistan, transfer and convert to life from Gallant AL
Motion made to accept by Nojin, seconded by Spraley, motion passed.
Minutes of Feb 2016 meeting read by Quartermaster Alex. No corrections made to Feb General Membership minutes and minutes will stand as read.
There was some discussion on closing of posts and State VFW problems that was mentioned in the minutes.
- Quartermaster: Report of Funds as of 02/29/2016 was given by Quartermaster Alex and is subject to audit. I Profit/Loss report was also Distributed for current year.
A motion was made and seconded by Noojin/Holmes that the report be accepted, subject to audit. The motion passed.
- House Committee: Report on canteen operations for previous 5 week since last meeting. Average weekly deposit was slightly less than the $2,000/week range with means we're losing money.
- Canteens sales have dropped over the last two years from $2,500 to less than $2,000 ($1,300 last week)
- Canteen Sales Deposit: $6,178.03
- Dance: $266.00
- Pulltabs: $3,067.00
- Total Donations: $4,152.38
- Total Deposit: $10,308.38
- First Friday membership. 1 new member, $11 donations
- Buddy Poppies. Checking with Tractor Supply for something in april, May 21st East Gadsden Walmart, May 27th all Johnsons, May 28th road block
- SMA benefit on x
- Heard nothing about dart tournament
- Request at Lowes for buddy poppy drive for memorial day, have not heard back.
- Academy does not allow solicitations
- Did find someone who possibly could use the ramp. Going to check if it is needed and doable.
- Comrade in Distress:
- Comrade Holland mentioned the Comrade Gene McBride is missing in action, not sure where he is and suggested we try to find him and visit.
- Reading of Correspondence: Read and discussed latest General Order.
- State Convention June 2-15, Birmingham
- Door replacement, running out of options, will come up under new business
- Connect two exterior cameras on front of building, looking for missing extensions. Another Camera in canteen area. Open.
- Smoking area patio/cover. Tabled, but still looking for better Temporary solution. Comrade Holland also mentioned to need to address the problem.
- Still have not payed dues for 3 members authorized last meeting.
- Comrade Holmes updated us on Teachers program. Brought up problems with submission of all programs.
- Request $100 for promotion material (pens or something), motion made by Noojon, Joyce seconded, motion passed.
- Comrade Alex requested up to $1,000 for replacement of the entry door, tired of discussing it. Spraley suggested checking with Lowes if they can special order it and save on shipping. Will check that but motion made to approve by Noojin/LaPoint. Motion passed
- Nomination for Post Officers:
- Commander - Holmes nominated Commander LaPoint
- SV Commander - Alex nominated Holmes, Gardner nominated Noojin
- JV Commander - LaPoint nominated Will Campbell
- Quartermaster - Holmes nominated Alex
- Chaplain - LaPoint nominated Sanders
- 3 year trustee - Holmes nominated Joyce Shelley
- 2 year Trustee - Spraley moved from 3 Year
- 1 year trustee - Parker or Freeman
- 3 year house - LaPoint nominated Sanders
- 2 year house - open
GOOD OF THE ORDER
- April 24th District 2 meeting, eat at 1, meet at 2
Comrade Holmes gave the closing prayer.
Meeting closed for business by Commander La Point at 19:16