Wilson Parris VFW Post 8600
817 Rainbow Drive
Gadsden, Alabama 35901
Post Membership Meeting
September 13, 2016
- Opening Ceremony: Meeting Opened at 6:05 PM by Commander LaPoint. Opening ceremonies conducted. Chaplin Maurice Sanders gave opening prayer and Pledge of Allegiance recited by all members present.
- Guests: State Inspector Stephen Connolly is attending meeting. The post inspection was conducted before the meeting.
- Roll Call of Officers: 12 Present, 1 Absent (Wilder), 3 Excused (Campbell, Spraley, Shelly).
- Petitions For Membership: No New Applicants. We have a transfer that is incomplete and will be brought up at next meeting.
- Reading of previous minutes approved. Some discussion on Application Fee, Quartermaster Alex tried to explain how Application Fee will be tracked.
- Quartermaster Report of Income and Disbursements given and discussed. Comrade Saunders made motion to accept Q.M. And seconded by Comrade Holland to accept Report, subject to Audit.
- Comrade in Distress: None mentioned or known. However, We have a homeless person in need of assistance. Comrade Holmes gave her a place to board and food. She has moved to public housing, but she is in need of money and made a motion to do a one time charity donation of $200 to Sherri Racher. Motion seconded by Alex and passed. Michael Smith is a continuous member in need. Commander LaPoint made motion that we pay dues, seconded by Holmes and motion passed my membership.
- Committee Reports were given and Approved.
- Canteen report given by Quartermaster, average month.
- Sold ramp for $400
- Air National Guard reunion on Oct 15
- Oct 29, benefit for cancer patient. Dance etc. Hall donated.
- We hired band in a 14 week contract. Dance will be on Friday nights, up through New Years. 80% of door.
- We need help to take care of door for dances.
- Reading of official Communications: General Order #3 was read to membership and some items were brought up for discussion.
- Unfinished Business: None new, but continue discussing about some possible building repairs that may not be worth the costs. Building Committee members solicited for a quote/estimate on what it would coast to open back room. Joe Jones construction gave us an estimate on what it would take to fix back bathroom, crumbling wall, remodel kitchen. Quote will be filed in General Correspondence. Quote well over $100,000. There will be further discussion under new business, by basically fixing back room will be removed from unfinished business.
- New Business:
- Good of the Order: Guest State Inspector Connolly brought that we should apply for a Grant for up to $1,000 from VFW to help with remodeling.
- Closing Ceremonies performed and meeting Adjourned by Commander LaPoint at 7:25 PM.