Post Membership Meeting September 8th 2020
Wilson Parris VFW Post 8600 817 Rainbow Drive Gadsden, AL 35901
- Opening Ceremony: Meeting called to order at 18:05 by Vice Commander Danny Thornton. Chaplain Woody Coheley gave opening prayer and all joined in the Pledge of Allegiance.
- Guest: None
- Roll Call of Officers: 13 present, 1 excused Commander Shelley.
- Petition for membership: David Gibson service 1978-2011, Life Membership. Motion to accept by Kevin Dean and second by Stacey Garmon.
- Reading highlights of previous minutes.
- Quartermaster Report of Income and Disbursements: Distributed and read. Motion to accept by Stacey Garmon, second by Jimmy Bozeman. Subject to Audit.
- Comrade in distress: none.
- Committee Reports: Senior Vice Commander – Danny Thornton stated Buddy Poppy road block date set for 11/09/2020 in Rainbow City, AL.
- House Committee – Jimmy Bozeman stated Karaoke on Saturday nights breaking even each month. On Friday nights started playing game “Name that artist”, when a person plays a song on the juke box. Stacey Garmon and Danny Thornton presented “Teacher of the year award” to Katie Sanford from Southside Elementary School on September 3rd, 2020.
- Reading of official Communications
- Unfinished Business: Purchased AT&T - $74.00 a month. Counter offer for the sale of Post 8600 was rejected. Post 8600 sale price is no lower than $450,000.00.
- New Business: Purchase of new VFW hats. Motion to accept by Steven Alex and second by Joe Harner.
- 10/08/20 – 10/11/2020 – fall conference in Decatur, AL. Motion by Steven Alex and 2nd by Stacey Garmon to pay for 1 night stay and conference fee for 3 people.
- Fund raiser – Commander Joyce Shelley purchased birth bath, benches, Alabama and Auburn stepping stones from Talladega VFW that closed down for $150.00. Items will be used as fund raiser for Post 8600. Money received will go into General Fund. Jimmy Bozeman motion to reimburse Commander Shelley $150.00. 2nd by Lorena Beam.
- Good of the Order – Required programs, National Veteran’s Day November 10th. Post pandemic grants available - $2500.00 to qualify post must have less than $10,000 in the bank. We do not qualify.
- Stacey Garmon – stated Dessert Storm Veteran Parade will be held May 30th in Washington DC.
- Jimmy Bozeman requesting more support from our Post 8600 members.
- Closing Ceremonies – Performed and meeting adjourned at 6:48pm by Vice Commander Danny Thornton. Next meeting October 13, 2020.