Wilson Parris VFW Post 8600
817 Rainbow Drive
Gadsden, Alabama 35901
Post Membership Meeting
November 8, 2016
- Opening Ceremony: Meeting Opened at 6:05 PM by Commander LaPoint. Opening ceremonies conducted. Chaplin Maurice Sanders gave opening prayer and Pledge of Allegiance recited by all members present.
- Guests: Before meeting, Walgreens conducted Wellness Clinic.
- Roll Call of Officers:12 Present, 2 Absent (Spraley - moving, Wilder) (c sv jv q c t3 t2a t1 h su se o a ja).
- Petitions For Membership: Transfer Larry Tumlin from Post 824 Anniston, Transfer David McClain from 2760, Transfer Andrew Plam from post 1716 Watsonville Calif, Transfer Joseph Harner, Life Member from post 7402, Buchanan GA. Motion made (Holland, Sanders) and carried
- Distribution and reading highlights of previous minutes approved after correction: Jimmy Bozeman was at meeting. Christmas Party will be held at 2760, AUX payed for them conduct it. Will leave past commander pictures up, even if they were removed from office - it's history.
- Quartermaster Report of Income and Disbursements given and discussed. Campbell, Shelley made motion to accept report, subject to Audit.
- Comrade in Distress: Comrade Alex made comments that Comrade Parker came in to the canteen last week, then left when he dicovered that he lost his scooter off the back of his car.(He found it at the Walmart Parking lot!)
- Committee Reports were given and Approved.
- Canteen report given by Quartermaster, slightly above average month. Discussed the problems with Dance and Karaoke (low attendance, 2760 competition).
- Discussed possibility of having Bingo. Dave and Steve will go to Jasper to see their operation.
- Next meeting Dec 13th.
- VFW raffle for Henry Rifle, tickets at bar.
- Discussed Buddy Poppy Drive.
- AUX Requested to address meeting (6:40pm.) Announced that they are turning in their charter. Donated $1,000 to the Post's Relief fund. They have one year to try to re-activate.
- Reading of official Communications: General Order #5 was read to membership and some items were brought up for discussion, including the issue of closing canteen during post meeting. Schools announced their annual Veterans day programs.
- Unfinished Business: Signs for cameras.None new, but continue discussing on possibility of selling building and moving to new facility. Will continue to search for information and suggestions on how we can proceed.
- New Business:
- Motion made by Alex, seconded by Holmes to donate $350 and try to collect another $350 matching to to school. Motion passed.
- Motion made by Alex, seconded by Holmes to pay dues for member Michael Nelson.
- Discussed replacing carpet in lounge. Motion made by Alex to replace carpet for $2000. Campbell seconded passed. Wait until after Christmas to do work.
- Good of the Order:
- National is going to send out Head Hunters to aid in membership. State approved giving their portion to dues to this effort.
- District meeting at 2760 Sunday 13th.
- Comrade Holmes announced that he has been diagnosed with Dementia and the beginning stages of Alzheimer. He is under treatment and says he does not khow how things will go, but will try to function as good as he can and will do what he can.
- ANG reunion donated $200 for use of facilities
- Medical Benefit concert last week collected over $2000. We also donated the facility, but was donated the amount we collected for pre sales.
- Closing Ceremonies performed and meeting Adjourned by Commander LaPoint at 7:20 PM.