Wilson Parris VFW Post 8600
817 Rainbow Drive
Gadsden, Alabama 35901
Post Membership Meeting Minutes April 11, 2017
- Opening Ceremony: Meeting Opened at 6:08 PM by Commander LaPoint. Opening ceremonies conducted. Chaplin Saunder gave opening prayer and Pledge of Allegiance recited by all members present.
- Guests: None.
- Roll Call of Officers:13 Present, 1 Vacant(Tr2) 1 Excused Ttr1,Surg,OD).
Cmdr, SVCmdr, JVCmdr, Qmst, Chap, Tr3, Tr2, Tr1, HC1, HC2, HC3, Surg, Serv, Adj, OD, JudgA
- Petitions For Membership: Tom McDowell - Qualified Vietnam Vet, Steve Cate - Qualified Vietnam Vet, Jimmy Cline - Qualified Vietnam Vet. Motion to accept by Holmes, seconded by Campbell. Motion passed
- Distribution and reading highlights of previous minutes was conducted. Minutes approved as read. LaPoint, Shelly.
- Quartermaster Report of Income and Disbursements given and discussed. Down about $4,000 for year. Motion made and seconded (Campbell,Saunders) to accept report, subject to Audit.
- Comrade in Distress: None
- Committee Reports were given and Approved.
- Canteen report given by Quartermaster.
- District meeting April 30, Scottsbor Post. Eat at 1, meet at 2
- ANG reunion set for Oct 28th
- Membership second to last in District. Approved to pay membership for up to 25 Members in December. 9 have been paid. Funds approved for up to 16 more. Membership will be paid by post by April 30th for about 8 expired or new members to reach 100%.
- Next meeting May 9th.
- Reading of Official Communications: General Order #10 was read to membership and some items were brought up for discussion. Comrade Homes pointed out the the General Orders are available available on the Departments Web Site: http://alvfw.org.
- Unfinished Business:
- Need sign for building for All American and All State award. Several members will look into the sign if we can get and example.Updated by Shelly
- Continued discussion of the possibility of having Bingo.
- $2000 allocated in November to replace carpet in Canteen still on books
- $750 allocated in December to pay membership for up to 25 members. (Tommy Batson, Herbert Mc Clendon,Jimmie Cunningham,Joshua Hamilton,Robert Garmon,Jedediah Hornbuckle,Richard Benka,Edward Spraley Paid by Post, 16 remain)
- NOTE: Dues paid on April 28th for 11 more members: Jimmy Cline, Thomas Miller, James Naylor , Jerry Bruce, Kyle Bryant, Justin Hanson, William Mark Woods , Candice Phillips, Herman Sewell, Clarence Bryant, Samuel Strickland.
- For Sale sign has not been Posted
- New Business:
- Motion made by Alex, Saunders made to purchase $144 worth of small flag to put on gravesides on Memorial Day. Motion Passed
- House Committee had special meeting on 20th.
- Tighten up check cashing procedures. Any check cashed include DOB, Drive license # and expiration.
- The Band Straight Shots has decided to quit. Last date April 23rd. We'll try DJ Matt.
- A seed has been set to question whether it is worth it to have a Saturday dance. Several options discussed but no action taken.
- Karaoke fee needs to be raised to $4. Motion made by Alex, Shelly to raise fee to $4. Motion passed.
- Some discussion on Bingo again.
Election of Officers
- Commander. Dave LaPoint. Adjutant cast one unanimous vote for Dave LaPoint for Commander
- Senior Vice Commander. Adjutant cast one unanimous vote for Johnny Holmes for Senior Vice Commander
- Junior Vice Commander. Adjutant cast one unanimous vote for Will Campbell for Junior Vice Commander
- Quartermaster. Adjutant cast one unanimous vote for Steven Alex for Quartermaster
- Chaplin. Adjutant cast one unanimous vote for Maurice Sanders for Chaplin
- 3 Year Trustee. Adjutant cast one unanimous vote for Lorena Beam for position
- 2 Year Trustee. Adjutant cast one unanimous vote for Jimmy Bozeman for position
- 1 Year Trustee. Adjutant cast one unanimous vote for Andrew Plam for position
- 3 Year House Committee. Adjutant cast one unanimous vote for Joyce Shelly for position
- 2 Year House Committee. 3 Year Tim Smith moved to 2 yr
- 1 Year House Committee. Jeremy Wilder nominated but not present. Johnny Homes nominated and Adjutant cast one unanimous vote for Position
- Woody Coheley appointed by Commander to Surgeon
- Joyce Shelly appointed by Commander to Officer of the Day (OD)
- Good of the Order:Argument about the definition of 'closed' referencing closing the Canteen during post meeting, not required by National by-laws, but by ours.
- Closing Ceremonies performed and meeting Adjourned by Commander LaPoint at 7:28 PM.