Wilson Parris VFW Post 8600
817 Rainbow Drive
Gadsden, Alabama 35901
- Opening Ceremony: Meeting Opened at 6:15 PM by Commander LaPoint. There was a guest presentation before Opening ceremonies where conducted. Chaplin Saunders gave opening prayer. Pledge of Allegiance recited by all members present.
- Guests: Lee Harrison gave a presentation before the meeting on a project he is trying to start. The project is to start a non-profit business with a goal: "Our specific goal as a Community Farm will be to be a Faithful Witness for Jesus, be a place of healing for those Wounded Warriors, Police Officers, First Responders, and others who suffer from PTSD, and will utilize this Community Farm as a Teaching Farm, a very finite experience that will last a lifetime." They are trying to raise funds through http://gofundme.com/gardensonair1.
- Roll Call of Officers:15 Present, 1 Absent (HC2).
Cmdr, SVCmdr, JVCmdr, Qmst, Chap, Tr3, Tr2, Tr1, HC1, HC2, HC3, Surg, Serv, Adj, OD, JudgA
- Petitions For Membership: Zackary Scheller accepted last month has not been put in yet, need to get DD214 or dates of service to complete application. Comrade Plam said he would get the DD214 to me.
- Distribution and reading highlights of previous minutes was conducted. Minutes stand as read.
- Quartermaster Report of Income and Disbursements distributed and discussed. An expanded explanation of reports made by Quartermaster. Motion made and seconded (Shelly, Sanders) to accept report, subject to Audit.
- Comrade in Distress: Comrade Holland reported that Billy Parker is not doing well. He does show up, but requires assistance.
- Committee Reports.
- Canteen and House Committee reports given by Chairman Shelly.
- Canteen floor didn't come out quite as expected. Could of done a better job of glue clean up. Old bathroom area did not meet expectations on making it look like the rest of the floor. Post will finish after the holidays.
- All drinks prices went up. Beer 25 cents. Top shelf 25 cents. Bar stock replaced with lower price liquor. Most call brands moved to mid price 3.50.
- Karaoke hours on Sunday change to 4pm to 8pm. New band "Outlaws" starts on Nov 25th for a 6 week trial.
- Stage railing/fence installed. Targeted donations offset cost of material.
- Christmas party Dec 15th. 12-2 for Veterans party, 6-8 Post party, Not catered but need money for food and gift bags.
- Looking into a gun show in future.
- Friday corn hole starts Friday as trial, $5 cover discussed. Possible turn into a Family night.
- New Years Eve party, band is willing for 1/3 of door. 1/3 will be used for food and stuff. Will require 50 attendees.
- Commander LaPoint brought up buddy poppy drive. Not many signed up for road block and Johnsons. We did okay, but could of done a lot better with more volunteers. Walmart East Gadsden is this Friday. Sign-up sheets on the door.
- Reading of Official Communications: General Order #5 was read to membership and some items were brought up for discussion (Mid Winter Conference Jan). Remember, General Orders are available available on the Departments Web Site: http://alvfw.org.
- Unfinished Business:
- Need sign for building for All American and All State award.
- Continued discussion of the possibility of having Bingo in the future
- $2000 allocated in November to replace carpet in Canteen has ≈ $712 left to finish the old bathroom area
- $1000 allocated to replace two doors in lounge.
- For Sale sign has not been Posted. $74 for 3 x 5 bannerBuy Plaque, hat or something for Commander LaPoint for All American/State/District accomplishments ($?)
- Comrade Holland brought up why all the unfinished business, funding? Doors - explained we'd have problem if the hinges are just a little off we'd just wasted money. Comrade Joey Thompson brought up we shouldn't do hinges, just install new doors. Still easier to replace Master Card Atlanta where power plant bought doors. For sale sign, are we going to do it? Propery for Sale. We've delayed but, get it taken care of. Comrade Holmes will order sign. Need to make sure Voice Mail is checked, it's not now. Need to adjust rings on VM.
- New Business:
- Shelly Christmas party food money. 12th Dec sign up, gift bags, Santa 2 to 4. Estimate cost $400 to $600. Holmes motioned to appropriate up to $600 seconded by Beam.
- Try corn hole on Friday, possible $5 cover, 6 weeks trial, 90/10 split. No vote required.
- Commander LaPoint brought up reestablishing the Post's AUX. Several former and potential members approached Department on the reestablishment process. They have to Feb 3 to complete the process. Requires 10 new members and approval of Commander according to their Manual. He is being pushed to approve and sign letter. Discrepancy between VFW manual and AUX manual. VFW Manual does not cover reestablishment. Does not want to be sole person responsible. Wants vote by membership. There was an extensive discussion between members on why we should or should not do this and how it should be done. No action taken at this meeting. Possible letter to membership that item will be brought up at next meeting.
- Good of the Order:
- Lorena Beam having retirement party in Montgomery Jan 6th
- Next meeting December 12th.
- Closing Ceremonies performed and meeting Adjourned by Commander LaPoint at 8:00 PM.