Wilson Parris VFW Post 8600
817 Rainbow Drive
Gadsden, Alabama 35901
Post Membership Meeting Minutes Oct 10, 2017
- Opening Ceremony: Meeting Opened at 6:12 PM by Commander LaPoint. Opening ceremonies conducted. Chaplin Saunders gave opening prayer. Pledge of Allegiance recited by all members present.
- Guests: Walter Dempster, Previous Department Commander, District Inspector.
- Roll Call of Officers:15 Present, 1 Absent (HC2).
Cmdr, SVCmdr, JVCmdr, Qmst, Chap, Tr3, Tr2, Tr1, HC1, HC2, HC3, Surg, Serv, Adj, OD, JudgA
- Petitions For Membership: Joey B Thompson, Iraq - (Zackary ? need to get name and dd214 to complete application). Holland motion to approve, Shelly seconded, Approved.
- Distribution and reading highlights of previous minutes was conducted. Minutes approved with a correction on approval of up to 3 members to attend fall conference to includes payment for lodging VFW fees.
- Quartermaster Report of Income and Disbursements distributed and discussed. An expanded explanation of reports made by Quartermaster. Motion made and seconded (Shelly, Campbell) to approve report, subject to Audit.
- Comrade in Distress: Comrade Holmes reported that David Billingsly is still having difficulties. Some discussion on our need to get a service officer involved.
- Committee Reports were given.
- Canteen report given by House Committee Chairman Shelly. Barred several people who were upset that we changed our Karaoke KJ and distributed disparaging information on the Post. Discussed changing our license to a Special Retail license instead of Club license. Drink prices will be going up November 1st. Will close post on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. Veterans and Post Christmas party scheduled for Dec 15, still in planning. May have Karaoke on New Years eve.
- Commander LaPoint. Pictures of giving flags to Piedmont school for scrapbook. Buddy Poppy Drive Nov 4th Roadblock Hwy 77, Steel Station Rd. Nov 11th all three Johnson's. Nov 17, East Gadsden Walmart.
- Next meeting November 14th.
- Reading of Official Communications: General Order #4 was read to membership and some items were brought up for discussion. Remember General Orders are available available on the Departments Web Site: http://alvfw.org.
- Unfinished Business:
- Need sign for building for All American and All State award.
- Continued discussion of the possibility of having Bingo. Joyce, Steve and Lorena meet Jasper Post May 15Th to look at there operation. See if Tuscaloosa has equipment. See if local American Legion post has equipment.
- $2000 allocated in November to replace carpet in Canteen still on books.
- $1000 allocated to replace two doors in lounge.
- For Sale sign has not been Posted. $74 for 3 x 5 bannerBuy Plaque, hat or something for Commander LaPoint for All American/State/District accomplishments ($?)
- New Business:
- Shelly looking into dance floor railing. Going to ask Lowes for donation or deep discount. Alternative is to look into refurbishing old railing. Add to unfinished business
- Holmes made motion to donate $100 each to VMS, VSO and Patriots Paws, Saunders seconded, motion passed.
- Alex made motion to purchase 4 cameras to replace broken cameras and add new views. Shelly seconded, motion passed.
- Shelly reported that we need to get cost for veterans and post Christmas party costs. We have until next meeting to come up with cost. Add to unfinished business.
- Good of the Order:
- Previous Department Commander Walter Dempster gave an enlightening presentation, including our membership problems - how to we attract new members from Iraq Afghanistan era. Also discussed Veteran Service officer needs. We also passed our inspection.
- Closing Ceremonies performed and meeting Adjourned by Commander LaPoint at 7:20 PM.