Wilson Parris VFW Post 8600
817 Rainbow Drive
Gadsden, Alabama 35901
Post Membership Meeting Minutes July 11, 2017
- Opening Ceremony: Meeting Opened at 6:12 PM by Commander LaPoint. Opening ceremonies conducted. Chaplin Saunders gave opening prayer. Pledge of Allegiance recited by all members present.
- Guests: None.
- Roll Call of Officers:13 Present, 1 Vacant(HC2) 1 2 Absent (Tr3, Tr1).
Cmdr, SVCmdr, JVCmdr, Qmst, Chap, Tr3, Tr2, Tr1, HC1, HC2, HC3, Surg, Serv, Adj, OD, JudgA
- Petitions For Membership: William R Finerty, Vietnam, Army. Motion to accept Holmes seconed by Saunders. Motion Passed.
- Distribution and reading highlights of previous minutes was conducted. Minutes approved as read. Holmes, Alex.
- Quartermaster Report of Income and Disbursements distributed and discussed. Motion made and seconded (Saunder,Shelly) to accept report, subject to Audit.
- Comrade in Distress: David Billingsly not doing real good. Comrade Homes visited him and noticed that his flag was worn and torn. Will be bring up under new business to donate him a new flag.
- Committee Reports were given and Approved.
- Canteen report given by Quartermaster.
- Buy Buddy Poppies in Aug
- Cleanup day Aug 15th
- Flags purchased for Piedmont. Will do presentation after school starts
- Sept 12th, Walgreen wellness clinic
- Next meeting August 8th.
- Reading of Official Communications: General Order #1 was read to membership and some items were brought up for discussion. Remember General Orders are available available on the Departments Web Site: http://alvfw.org. School of instruction Aug 4th, 5th. (Plam, Alex, LaPoint, Holmes)
- Unfinished Business:
- Need sign for building for All American and All State award.
- Continued discussion of the possibility of having Bingo. Joyce, Steve and Lorena meeting Jasper Post May 15Th to look at there operation. See if Tuscaloosa has equipment. See if local American Legion post has equipment. Woody passed on some information about Bingo in Jacksonville, caller, DJ, KJ
- $2000 allocated in November to replace carpet in Canteen still on books
- For Sale sign has not been Posted. $74 for 3 x 5 banner
- New Business:
- Alex made motion we donate a flag to David Billingsly. LaPoint seconded. Motion passed
- LaPoint made motion to pay $100 for registration fee for School of instruction for Alex, LaPoint, Plam and Holmes. Campbell seconded. Motion passed.
- Holmes purchased some pins and badges to be used during Buddy Poppy drive and other fund raisers. He purchased them himself. Shelly motion to repay Holmes $279.50 for promotional items. Some items (pins) are available for sale. Saunders seconded. Motion passed.
- Campbell made motion to pay for promotion material for VOD, PP and other programs. ($100) Bozeman seconded. Motion passed.
- Need people to work door for dance.
- After Homes comments, motion made by Shelly, seconded by Campbell to purchase plaque, certificate or hat for Commander LaPoint in recognition of work done at the post and district level. ($?)
- Good of the Order:
- District 2 made All American District. Holmes discussed we should recognize Commander LaPoint. Re-opened new business.
- Some discussion on all of our health problems!
- Closing Ceremonies performed and meeting Adjourned by Commander LaPoint at 7:05 PM.