Wilson Parris VFW Post 8600
817 Rainbow Drive
Gadsden, Alabama 35901
Post Membership Meeting Minutes June 13, 2017
- Opening Ceremony: Meeting Opened at 6:05 PM by Commander LaPoint. Opening ceremonies conducted. Chaplin Saunders gave opening prayer. Pledge of Allegiance recited by all members present.
- Guests: None.
- Roll Call of Officers:12 Present, 1 Vacant(HC2) 1 Excused (Tr3 ) 2 Absent (JVCmd, JA).
Cmdr, SVCmdr, JVCmdr, Qmst, Chap, Tr3, Tr2, Tr1, HC1, HC2, HC3, Surg, Serv, Adj, OD, JudgA
- Petitions For Membership: Richard Bryer, Kosovo, Navy. Danny Thorton AF/ANG Korea. Robert Shelly, Army, Afghanistan. Motion to Accept and Seconded (Saunders,Holmes ) Passed.
- Distribution and reading highlights of previous minutes was conducted. Dept Convention dates corrected. Minutes approved as corrected. Holmes, Alex.
- Quartermaster Report of Income and Disbursements given and discussed. Motion made and seconded (Saunder,Plam) to accept report, subject to Audit.
- Comrade in Distress: Steve Cate scheduled for surgery on back.
- Committee Reports were given and Approved.
- Canteen report given by Quartermaster.
- Buddy Poppy Drive $2375
- Buy Buddy Poppies in Aug
- Next meeting July 11th.
- Reading of Official Communications: General Order #12 was read to membership and some items were brought up for discussion. Remember General Orders are available available on the Departments Web Site: http://alvfw.org. School of instruction Aug 4th, 5th. (Plam, Alex, LaPoint)
- Unfinished Business:
- Need sign for building for All American and All State award.
- Continued discussion of the possibility of having Bingo. Joyce, Steve and Lorena meeting Jasper Post May 15Th to look at there operation. See if Tuscaloosa has equipment.
- $2000 allocated in November to replace carpet in Canteen still on books
- For Sale sign has not been Posted. $74 for 3 x 5 banner
- New Business:
- Walgreen wants to do Wellness clinic in early fall.
- Dr Clemson from Piedmont School interested in getting 30 classroom flags. $270 motion made LaPoint, Holmes and passed
- Cleanup date set to July 15th to back room and other stuff.
- Emergency repairs. Cooler went out last month $140 to fix. Sewer pump failed, $750.
- If cooler breaks again, need new own. Maybe Freezer converted to cooler.
- Good of the Order:
- Discussed our visit by ABC, Fire Dept etc. Received a warning and two citations (non-members drinking, half points). Going to appeal citations. Suggest we get different liquor license.
- Andrew Plam going to work on facebook site.
- 2760 has been suspended for 90 days. We are being blamed on social media based on hersay and District commander is in charge of suspension process.
- Closing Ceremonies performed and meeting Adjourned by Commander LaPoint at 7:15 PM.